Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Catch Up!



            I was reflecting on some of the times that I felt the most amazed at myself.  I was reflecting on my track days.  There was a particular time that stands out to me. 
We were running against Red Mountain.  I was running in the last race, the 4x4.  I was also the last leg, like always.  I over heard the Red Mountain team talking.  The girl that was running against me was really nervous.  She didn’t know if she would be able to take the pressure of being last leg and win the race.  This made me a little proud, because if I was running against me I would be nervous too.  The race started.  
 As I stood waiting for my turn I watch my team fall further and further behind.  The nervous girl on the other team began to be at ease.  But my stomach tightened.  I had already decided that I was going to win.  So no matter how far in front of me she was I was still going to win.  By the time my teammate got to me, Red Mt. had already rounded the first turn.  This meant I had to make up 100 meters.  It was pretty much impossible.  But when I got the baton the thought of impossible had never crossed my mind.  I push as hard as I could.  I did catch up to her.  By the finish line, we were neck and neck.  I leaned into the finish line and fell to the ground.  My team jumped up and down like we had won.  I looked up from my back and asked my coach if we had won.  He looked down at me in amazement, but then said “Close, but no!”

No comments:

Post a Comment